About H.E.L and this role
Our mission at H.E.L Group is to make a healthier, sustainable, safer world for everyone. We equip scientists with the right tools and knowledge to develop safe, efficient new processes and molecules that benefit the world and its population.
Our core values are:
Being insightful through experience,
Being collaborative by design,
Being tenacious in spirit,
Being proud of progress.
We operate globally with offices in London – UK (HQ), Princeton – USA, Beijing – China, Mumbai – India, and Singapore and field-based staff across our direct regions and trusted partners in distribution territories.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated, Development Engineer (Mechanical) to join our expanding Development team within H.E.L Group, UK. In this role you will contribute to the development and testing of scientific equipment and instrumentation, through New Product Development (NPD), Custom Projects and production support.
You will work on a wide range of activities from concept design, building and testing prototypes, through to troubleshooting mechanical challenges within existing products. The role will require the ability to fit in well as part of a team often collaborating across departments and skill sets, whilst also being capable of working independently.
H.E.L is a product based business operating in Chemical Sciences, Biotechnology, Battery Technology Testing, Process Safety and Scale Up applications, with this role providing a great opportunity to make a positive impact on both our business and our customer’s as we support their work in creating a Healthier, Sustainable and Safer world.
Responsibilities of the role
- Design, assembly and testing of prototype mechanical components and assemblies.
- Producing 2D technical drawings and 3D CAD models.
- Utilise and maintain product data repositories.
- Organise, participate and lead design reviews as required.
- Writing supporting technical documentation including:
- Assembly instructions
- Test instructions
- Service instructions
- Provide guidance and support to production and service teams, including hands on practical support when required.
- Update component designs as part of Non-conformance and Engineering Change Request Processes.
- Produce manufacturing packs for suppliers to quote and manufacture against.
- Liaise with external suppliers and manufacturers.
- Liaise with external product testing providers, and regulatory bodies.
Education and Experience
- Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering (Candidate without formal qualifications who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered).
- An experienced CAD user with the ability to produce 3D models, detailed 2D component drawings (including dimensioning and tolerancing), assembly drawings, parts lists, and be capable of utilising data repositories.
(Autodesk Inventor experience preferred).
- Experience in a product development environment within a relevant industry having gained knowledge of, and exposure to technologies such as:
- Temperature sensing and control systems.
- Pumps and sensors for liquid and gas flow and control.
- Pressure vessels
- Sheet metal chassis and caseworks
- Experience in designing and developing components fabricated from materials and techniques such as:
- Sheet metal
- Welded fabrications
- Precision machined components (milled and turned)
- Knowledge of DFM/DFA techniques, methodologies and machine shop practices.
- Must have excellent practical mechanical engineering skills, including modification and assembly of prototype components.
- Ability to use simulation and testing tools including FEA and fluid dynamics within CAD or associated software packages.
- Understanding of new product development processes, including experience of transfer to manufacture.
- Experience of using rapid prototyped components including 3D printing and fast turnaround machining services.
- Experience of designing and developing assembly and testing fixtures.
- Experience of testing and characterising mechanical assemblies to identify root causes of issues, and implement permanent corrective actions.
- Experience of mechanical compliance and regulatory testing standards and processes.
- Knowledge of materials and finishes and experience in organising sub-contractors ensuring timely delivery of manufactured components and assemblies.
- Experience of pressure rated vessels and equipment, the Pressure Equipment Directive and associated Safe Engineering Practises.
- Experience in user ERP software (SAP preferred).
Preferable Skills and Attributes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing of technical documents.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with deadline focussed approach.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work through complex issues with a methodical approach to solving technical problems.
- Keen to learn with a desire to develop your own knowledge and experience
- Ability to be flexible in work schedule and accommodate unexpected work changes.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across the H.E.L business.
- Exposure to working in a multidisciplinary technical team.
- Training on company business information systems applicable for role
- Health & Safety Training, as required
- On the job training
H.E.L. Pay and Benefits
- Salary in line with market average
- Bonus up to 10%
- Pension – Company pays in 3% after 3 months – rises to 10% after 1 year, employee contribution 5%
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays. Ability to buy or sell 5 days holiday each year
- After 3 months, access to online benefit select portal – all staff get Cash health plan for dental and medical – other benefits such as Cycle to work or holiday trading, with access to discount portal for Gym membership & other retailers
- Death in service cover at 4x salary
You can download the full position description here
To apply for this position, please complete the form below, and upload your CV and covering letter.
(Please no agencies)