Development Engineer (Software)
To work in partnership with other members of the development team on specification, development and updating of H.E.Ls products, focussing primarily (but not entirely) on the necessary software components.
Responsibilities of the role
In this position, the individual will be based in our UK head office (Borehamwood, UK) and report to the Product Development Director. The success of the position will be measured by the financial performance of the business, coupled with KPI’s.
Key Duties: (Software)
- Working with members of the Development Team (and wider H.E.L team) in the development of novel instruments and technologies.
- Work within the Agile Software Development Team on the specification and development of necessary software components
- Liaise with engineers and scientists in the generation of specifications
- Use appropriate development systems to generate code for inclusion in high-level instrument control applications or as part of embedded control systems
- Work with other engineers on the assembly and integration of prototypes
- Liaise with clients and members of the wider H.E.L team in the identification of problems, determining their origins and implementing fixes
- Assume shared ownership of legacy designs, extending, repairing and refactoring as necessary
- To solve issues and challenges arising during the day to day activities and ensuring a smooth, fast and permanent fix.
- To actively contribute to behaviors and mindsets so that H.E.L delivers best in class customer products.
- Provide back up to other departments/ groups as necessary.
- Be a committed, proactive and positive member of the development team, contributing to the overall development and operation of the company.
- Contribute to the development of training courses as required.
- Potentially traveling and working in the UK, Europe, USA, China and other regions as needed to fulfill the job role and achieve the Company’s objectives.
- Other duties as required
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics).
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in computer programming in a modern RAD based high-level language.
- An understanding of computer hardware and networking
- Experience of working on distributed network applications – specifically using gRPC.
- An appreciation of the need for getting things done on time, within tight deadlines and on budget.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and the Internet.
- Has an approachable manner that encourages interaction with others.
- Current European Driving Licence
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Preferable Skills and Attributes
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Experience of working within an Agile Development Environment
- Experience of using the Delphi and/ or C# Programming Languages
- Experience in using MS SQL or other DBMS
- Cross-discipline experience in the other key roles of the development team (e.g. Electronics, Machining skills, modern high-level computer languages)
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to work effectively both interdepartmentally and internationally
To apply for this position, please complete the form below, upload your CV and covering letter.
(Please no agencies)