Field Service Engineer (West Coast)
H.E.L Group is a multinational company headquartered in London, England whose primary business is the sale of highly technical instruments used in research by Pharmaceutical and Chemical companies. The U.S. office is responsible for the sales and technical service/support to our clients in the Americas and is in Princeton, New Jersey.
We are looking for someone to continue the expansion of our services of the U.S. business, with a Field Services Engineer to cover the US West Coast. The nature of the role and support required means that the individual ideally lives within convenient commuting distance of the assigned territory.
The key objective of the role is to be the technical expert in a defined set of process chemistry tools and build the H.E.L brand by taking advantage of the company’s technical strengths and established blue-chip customer base. The incumbent will act as the primary Services face to the customer, leading communications with customer(s) thereby building long-lasting relationships for the company in the assigned territory.
The ideal candidate will have a strong, demonstrable track record in servicing scientific instruments. Candidates who do not have services experience but have a strong relevant scientific background and aptitude for a technical role will be considered.
- Install new or modified equipment at the customer’s facility to ensure full functionality according to specifications
- Perform maintenance, service, upgrade, and repair of existing instruments. Provides on-site technical assistance to help troubleshoot and repair equipment
- Respond to customer support inquiries received via HEL helpdesk. Review performance reports and documentation from customers, and inspect malfunctioning or damaged product to determine the nature and scope of the problem
- Analyze inspection findings, to determine the source of the problem, and perform repair, replacement, or other corrective actions
- Liaise with Supply chain team/Production departments to progress requests of stock required for completion of duties
- Maintain records of performance reports. Responsible for managing cases in order to achieve set KPIs and customer expectations. Maintain CRM customer database of contacts, organizations, instruments, and contracts
- Analyze reports of technical problems to determine trends affecting future design, production, service, and maintenance processes, and recommend modifications to eliminate future problems
- Develop and conduct training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrate skills to trainees, including both team members and customers
- Handle customer problems that appear to arise from the misuse of the product
- Plan and schedule levels of support work according to product release schedules
- Assist in final testing of new products when necessary
- The development and implementation, after approval, of warranty and service policies in cooperation with Service Product Manager
- Establish & communicate to his/her direct line manager their daily agenda and visit reports
- Adhere, comply with SOP (standard operating procedures) and WI (working instruction)
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field and 4+ years of experience servicing scientific equipment; OR equivalent military education and 4+ years of experience servicing scientific equipment
- Experience interfacing with both internal team members and external customers as part of a solution-based service process.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing mechanical, electromechanical, and/or electronic scientific equipment.
- Experience troubleshooting and responding to customer concerns.
- Experience with Web applications as well as Microsoft suite of products.
- Working knowledge of chemical processes deployed in pharmaceutical and fine chemical R&D is preferred.
- The successful applicant must comply with H.E.L Inc’s standard background check. In addition, during employment, the employee must comply with all customer access policies, including but not limited to obtaining and/or providing proof of required immunizations, and additional drug tests or background checks (including a federal government background check if assigned to support a contract with the federal government).
- Special Physical Requirements: Candidate must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 35 lbs. unassisted and frequently bend, stoop, twist, climb, crouch/squat, kneel/crawl, sit and stand for long periods of time. The candidate must also be able to reach at, above, and below shoulder level, flex/extend the neck, and have good hand and finger dexterity.
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- Willingness to be available “after hours”, or work a rotating On-Call schedule, including weekends, for critical issues and coverage, as necessary.
Preferable Skills and Attributes
- A self-starter who is focused, reliable, flexible, and well-organized.
- Ability to grasp scientific terms and concepts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in building long term relationships with clients.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility in work hours.
- Ability to travel extensively within the U.S. and Canada, including overnight and/or weekend stays, if necessary.
To apply for this position, please complete the form below, upload your resume and covering letter.
(Please no agencies)