- Offers simple screening of hydrogenation and other reactions up to 200 bar
- Individual stirred reactors at separate start pressures
- Individual temperature control for each vessel
(temperatures 25 °C to 250 °C)
- A range/difference of over 100 °C between the reactors
- Excellent stirring – individually controlled & measured
- Compact manifold for easy purge & pressurization
- 316SS and other alloys (e.g. Hastelloy) are available
Experiments can be designed to:
- Run all reactions at same temperature and pressure -while varying the catalyst or reagents
- Keep catalyst loads identical but vary the initial pressure
- Run individual reactors with different loads, pressure and temperatures
- Analysis of the final product provides information on the effects of the variables.
- Excellent mixing enabling heterogeneous and homogenous catalytic gas-liquid reactions.
- Proprietary suspended mechanical impellers provide mixing comparable to that with overhead stirrer motors.
- The mixing rate is such that gas uptake is often kinetic controlled, allowing scale up with confidence.
- Standard 8 x 16 ml, minimum working volume ~ 3 ml
- Other options include 75 ml and 120 ml
- A separate mantle around each reactor allows the temperature to be controlled individually up to 250 °C.
- The internal temperature of each reactor is measured and controlled.
- The temperature difference of over +100 °C between reactors can be achieved.
Pressure Limit & Monitoring
- Each reactor can be manually (and individually) pressurized up to 200 bar.
- Reactors can be supplied with individual burettes to minimize pressure changes during a reaction.
- Reactors can be set to different start pressures, allowing the controlled stirring to initiate the reaction.
- Gas consumption will lead to a fall in pressure, indicated by dial gauge, digital transducers can be supplied to graphically measure and display individual pressures.
- Software control and data logging of temperature and stirring.
- Manual purge and gas feed of each reactor.
- Pressure gauges supplied as standard (transducers optional).
- The system is available with all wetted parts in Hastelloy to enable the study of even the most aggressive of chemistries.
Modular high-pressure system
The DigiCAT allows the control of temperature and stirring as well as the safe addition of gas (including hydrogen) for chemistries at high pressure (up to 200 bar) and temperatures (up to 300 °C).
Reactor sizes up to 300 ml can be used in different combinations
Control and monitor
- Reactor and mantle temperature
- Reactor pressure
- Stirring speed
The standard system provides analog (gauge) readings of pressure and manual settings of temperature and stirring on digital controller.
In addition, our software interface can also be provided.
Single or multiple reactors can be used with the same base system. Furthermore, two DigiCAT units can be operated in parallel giving the possibility of experiments with up to six high-pressure reactors.
Choose your reactors from two ranges:
- 16 ml, 25 ml, 50 ml
- Up to three reactors from the Mini-range can be used with each DigiCAT base system
- 75 ml, 125 ml, 300 ml
- One reactor from the Midi-range can be used with each DigiCAT base system
- Reactor volumes – 16 ml to 300 ml
- Number of reactors per DigiCAT unit
- 3 x (16 ml, 25 ml, 50 ml)
- 1 x (75 ml, 125 ml, 300 ml)
- Vessel Material – SS316, Hastelloy, Glass liner options
- Max. operating temperature to 300 °C
- Max. operating pressure to 200 bar (2,900 psi)
- Head plate ports Mini range – 5 x 1/16 MPT freely configurable
- Head plate ports Midi range center – 1/4 BSPP, 1 x 1/4 BSPP, 4 x 1/8 BSPP freely configurable
- Standard fittings – PRV (optional rupture disk), gas inlet, thermowell, sampling port.
- Seals – Viton or Kalrez
- Agitation – Magnetic suspended or overhead mechanical*
- Stirring speed – 300 to 1400 rpm
(*Optional on Midi range only)
Features and Benefits
- Use on a hot plate, oil bath, PolyBLOCK* or AutoMATE* (*excludes CAT7)
- Choice of 7, 18 or 24 simultaneous reactions
- Sample sizes 1 ml to 8 ml
- Magnetic stirring
- Special design to prevent solvent loss
- 100 bar / 250 °C rated vessels (316SS or Hastelloy)
- Valves and pressure gauge to manually purge (e.g. inert) and then pressurize with reacting gas (e.g. hydrogenation).
- “Pocket” for adding thermocouples to monitor the operating temperature
Designed to be used with 7 standard 10 ml vials. Suitable for use with Hotplates and oil baths (NOTE not compatible with H.E.L Automate and PolyBLOCK mantles)
Designed to be used with 18 standard 2 ml HPLC vials (with or without septa in place)
This allows the use of 24 open-top vials to be used at high pressure and temperature. The typical test volume is around 1 ml.
Reaction vessels are quickly and easily loaded into the CAT blocks, then exposed to a common atmosphere and temperature. To prevent carryover between vessels the HPLC vial can be fitted with septa. For larger vessels used in the CAT 7 and 24, the lids are fitted with cold fingers, which are chilled by an external coolant (eg tap water), to delay crossover of vapors between reaction vessels.
Features and Benefits
- Standalone High-pressure screening unit.
- Manual or Software control
- 96 simultaneous reactions in 1 ml vials
- Magnetic stirring
- 35 bar / 200 °C rated vessels (316SS or Hastelloy)
- Valves and pressure gauge to manually purge (e.g. inert) and then pressurize with reacting gas (e.g. hydrogenation)
The CAT 96 is a fully automated design based around 96 well Zinsser block, providing Computer-control for:
- Gas feed/venting
The CAT 96 can be supplied with manual ball-valves, pressure dial gauge, stirrer dial and adjustable power (heating) supply for a low-budget manual solution.