Phi-TEC I | Bench-top, high phi-factor, adiabatic calorimeter
If there is a need to characterize especially rapid decompositions, the Phi-TEC I offers a high data-rate acquisition option, which provides higher resolution data on the rate of pressure
and temperature changes. When scaling up a process, accurate knowledge of an exothermic event is vital to ensure the magnitude of the thermal runaway risk is fully understood.
Large scale reactors lose very little of the heat generated in a reaction to the surroundings. This poses a potential hazard when operating at large scale, as that heat will be retained within the reactor. At best this will require plant cooling and at worst may trigger a thermal runaway.
The Phi-TEC I mimics the processes at large scale, while operating at laboratory volumes.
Characterizing the thermal runaway (4)
Providing a direct measurement of the sample temperature, coupled with a rapid response to thermal changes, the Phi-TEC I accurately tracks exothermic events and maintains adiabatic conditions.
Adiabatic screening of a process enables accurate characterization of the onset temperature (Td) and facilitates calculation of the time to maximum rate (TMRd), the adiabatic temperature rise (ΔTad,d) and the rate of pressure change. These key parameters can help describe the magnitude of the thermal runaway hazard.
Test Cells Type and Volume
- Standard ARC-type & high Phi-factor test cells are available in Stainless Steel, Hastelloy, and glass.
- Volume range 0.5 ml to 10 ml.
- Ambient to 500°C .
- Optional: Low-temperature addition (starting at -20 °C or -40 °C dependant on oil circulator) for testing of highly unstable chemicals available.
High Pressure and Vacuum Systems
- Pressure range 1 to 150 bar.
- Reagent Addition
- Optional: On specific test cell designs.
- Indirect agitation with magnetic stirrer bar as standard; fixed stirring rate of 300 rpm
Intelligent Software Control and Analysis
- labCONSOL software control enables regular data logging, multi-step recipes, parameter control, and feedback loops. The software adds a responsive intelligence to the Phi-TEC I system and still delivers an intuitive interface that needs only minimal training to run quickly.
- Customizable standard plans allow for easy running of the system with automated heating, detection of gas generation, and safety steps.
- Optional: High data rate acquisition available for characterizing extremely fast reactions (up to 10 000 Hz).
- Automatic, user-configurable, shutdown procedures if a safety condition is exceeded to ensure user safety
- Automatic hardware and software fail-safes are installed on every system
- Optional: Safety release valve